Friday, June 24, 2011

Crab Commission

Last weekend, we were invited down to a friend's house on Mobile Bay.  They had just baited their 4 crabtraps with shrimp heads (!) and already had 19 crabs!  The crabs were super fiesty and the kids had a good time getting them out of the traps and into the bucket.  They were boiled up later that evening and the kids had them for "dessert" - hand cracking them out on the pier after sunset.  I took photos of the live crabs, as the colors were bright and beautiful and I knew I would want to do some crab paintings soon.




So, lo and behold, I received a sweet email from another "Jennifer" in Smithfield, VA (yes, the ham town) a few days later.  She was interested in commissioning a piece of artwork for the new addition to her home.  She really liked a piece I did a while back of two crabs on an antique shutter.  So, I emailed her a photo of the antique shutters I had, and she chose a great looking neutral brown shutter with lots of chippy paint. 


I got to work right away - hand cutting the crabs out of metal (not an easy task!) and then taking the piece to my studio to paint the artwork.  I think it turned out fabulous!  How cool to have a one-of-a-kind piece of artwork, that you designed yourself.  I hope she loves it.

1 comment:

Jennifer Fox Allen said...

Ok, I just got an email response from Jennifer in VA. Here is part of it -

"OH MY GOSHHHH! Can you hear me screaming in Virginia! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it and it will look sooooo AWESOME in our new sunroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can not thank you enough for making this for us and can't wait to hang."

I wonder if she likes it? :)