Thursday, August 23, 2012

Painting Boats


I have been in the mood to paint boats lately.  Maybe it's the end of summer.  At any rate, I have three pieces that I've finished and I really like.  The blues are soothing and the paintings make me wish I was "there".

The first two are based off of a photo I've had for a long time.  I've painted something similar before, that sold quickly.  So, I thought I'd revisit these canoes: once larger and another time in a higher "key".  In "Boats on Blue II", notice that there are tiny "pops" of burnt orange in the dark shadows.  It's like the painting isn't finished for me, until I can figure out the "odd man out" color that really sets the work off.  I once took a cooking class in New Orleans where they were talking about using spices in food.  There are flavors that are similar, but for a really phenomenal dish, you need a little bit of an "odd man out" flavor -- a spice that is opposite but complementary at the same time.  This is what I try to accomplish when using color in my work.  I am very happy with the results and will apply a gloss varnish on these for a really nice watery effect.

"Boats on Blue II", 24x24" acrylic on gallery canvas, $350.

"Canoe Trio", 12x12" acrylic on gallery canvas, $95.

Secondly, I have really been wanting to paint some sailboats.  I don't sail, but I have a dear friend and also a neighbor that do.  Something about flying over the water, with no motor noise, has got to be wonderful.  I tried to keep the colors airy and breezy and I think I did well with that.  I still had to pop some tan and darker blue in there to make it interesting.

"Sails on the Bay", 12x24" acrylic on gallery canvas, $200.

Enjoy the last few weeks of warm weather!  Can you believe that Labor Day is next weekend????

No comments: